Thursday, February 16, 2012

Day Two: Choosing Pieces for Your Portfolio


After many hours of reading and rifling through all the things I have done thus far. I came down to my final five pieces that I will feature in my portfolio. What it came down to was deciding on pieces not based on content, but what I had to say about them. What could I say about a particular piece? The following is a list of tips for choosing pieces to feature in your portfolio:

1. Choose a Piece that you can talk about- if there was something in particular that made a piece special, use it. For example, if you were writing an article and you couldn’t figure something out, how did you solve the problem, what were the tools you used, and what was the end product? Potential employers want to know what you are capable and also how you accomplish and cope with things. Use this piece to demonstrate your abilities.
2. Choose a piece that means something to you- choose something you are proud of, that you worked really hard on and was successful. Employers want to know what you’re passionate about, what gets you excited.
3. Choose pieces that are different- you want to show your potential employer that you have a broad range of strong skills. Show it.

4 comments:

  1. I like how you chose things to write based on what you wanted to speak about. You can only do best at the things that you enjoy. I love that you are passionate about things; and if you were to write about them, I know that they will be awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with choosing a piece that means something to you. If you aren't passionate about a piece, your explanation of the piece is going to be boring and unexciting. If the piece truly means something, then it will come through in the explanation and the reviewers will be excited about it as well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like those tips you share with us. KNOWING what you want to talk about is the key to your portfolio review/ job interview. In other words, you are able to demonstrate your strength and tell your story to others.

    ReplyDelete