Monday, February 20, 2012

Day Three: Aesthetics

It has been quite an adventure creating my portfolio. I have chosen my pieces and now I am assembling my portfolio and forced to make decisions about the aesthetics of my portfolio.

This Christmas my parents were very generous and bought me a beautiful leather portfolio case with a handle. Prior to the leather portfolio I used a faux-leather binder that worked well at a significantly cheaper price. If you are looking for an affordable, but classy looking binder, I recommend Office Max. I bought my first binder for $15 and I was never docked down for the less expensive binder. Now that I have my fancy binder, I made the decision that the paper I was going to use would be heavier to prevent bending and crinkles. So, I bought black cardstock paper and stock paper with a fine flower border to give my articles something extra.

I found that potential employers like a little flare to represent how you stand out from others. I wouldn’t recommend going overboard with flashy paper or borders but a subtle pastel color does add to your portfolio.

Choose colors and prints that match your personality and make sure when you are presenting that you show how those choices represent you!

2 comments:

  1. Although I believe that aesthetics are important when creating a portfolio, I also believe that having a goal/purpose for the portfolio and knowing your audience is just as important. For example, if you have several technology pieces, you don’t necessarily want to include those in your fashion portfolio. Sometimes it’s okay to have multiple portfolios targeted to each audience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree. I think that some peoples personalities are more suited towards bright, colorful portfolios, while others match better with black and white. The important thing to remember is to make sure that your porfolio is an accurate representation of you as a person, student and PR professional.

    ReplyDelete